[Box Backup] Mailbox backup is dangerous.

Per Reedtz Thomsen boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Thu Aug 27 09:25:08 BST 2009

On 8/27/09 12:25 AM, Christian Tschabuschnig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this e-mail (from 4 months ago) never got a reply from anyone. Is the
> below statement true? Or is it a misinterpretation of something else
> happening?

On the surface, it appears that the real problem was that the mail
messages were deleted from the mail server, and since there was not
enough room on the boxbackup server, they were cleaned up during
housekeeping.

If they hadn't been deleted from the mail server and/or there had been
enough storage in the account on the backup server, the files would not
have been removed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but before getting to the point that
housekeeping starts removing files from the server, the account has to
reach its storage limits.

Since there is no 'deleted timestamp' for a file (because it's gone),
there is no readily available way to tell when it was deleted, except
when boxbackup scans for it and marks it deleted in the store. This is
not accurate of course, so I don't know how practical it would be to use
it as a basis for when to remove files from the store during housekeeping.

Removing from the store by 'deleted-time' would necessitate tracking the
deletion time stamp in the store, as well as the modified- and other
timestamps on the file. During recovery these time stamps would need to
be recovered, so they can't be overwritten.

My $0.02,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen at reedtz.com | C: 209 996 9561