[Box Backup] FeatureRequest: Mass Deletion Protection

Torsten boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Thu Feb 5 13:26:34 GMT 2009

Am Saturday 09 August 2008 15:59:59 schrieb Chris Wilson:
> Hi Torsten,
>
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Torsten wrote:
> > Changing delete time to "never delete" is not what i want. This would
> > prevent bb to delete the directory on the store if it is not activated
> > in bbackupd.conf anymore.
> >
> > What i want is that: If the location is activated in bbackupd.conf and
> > it is not accessible in local directory - then bb should not stop
> > syncing and printing errors. It should print a warning to the logs and
> > then start syncing the next location. It should not mark the directory
> > as deleted. Do you think anybody else would need this? I hope you can
> > understand my english ...
>
> I think we are actually talking about the same thing.
> DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter already exists in trunk, and only applies to
> locations, and only if they are not found on the client's local disk. That
> sounds like the same case that you describe.
>
> Changing the value of DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter should change the time
> until the location is deleted on the server, which I think is what you're
> trying to avoid happening. Setting it to some enormous value would
> probably already achieve what you want to do, without patching.
>
> I'd hate to add another way to do exactly the same thing in a different
> place in the code. Could you try this setting in bbackupd without the
> patch, and see if it does what you want to do with this patch? if so, then
> the patch might not be necessary.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,

i tested this DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter and i think it does not exactly
what i want.

I have set DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 99999999

Locations not found on the local disk are never deleted, no matter if they are
activated in bbackupd.conf or not.

I want this:
* Locations activated in bbackupd.conf and not found on local disk -> never
delete from backup store.
* Locations not activated in bbackupd.conf and not found on local disk ->
delete on backup store after some time (for example the known value of 48
hours).

Can you help me with this? Perhaps i forgot to activate some value in the
config?

thanks
  Torsten