[Box Backup] Can total hardlimitsize exceed partitionsize?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sat Feb 7 17:30:11 GMT 2009

Hi Robin,

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Robin Harteveld wrote:

> I have a central boxbackup server with 125 stores on it. The size of the
> partition with the stores is 7.5TB.

Wow, that's a huge partition. What's it made of and what filesystem do you
use on it?

> Stores are from different users. They difference is size ( 10GB - 20GB -
> 40GB - 100GB). The hardlimit is set to "softlimit+10GB".
>
> Sometimes a users adds more then 10 Gb to his store. In some cases the
> hardlimit gets full.  I noticed that when a users cleans-up. The filed
> are not marked as old files. That way the store stays full. The only way
> to fix this, is to increase the hardlimit. Old-files are marked.
> house-keeping does its job and new files come in.

The deleted files are supposed to be marked as deleted, not old. This is
supposed to happen even if the store is full. I.e. the boxbackup client is
supposed to continue going through the store and marking locally deleted
files as deleted on the store, but not uploading any more, when the store
is full. If that's not happening, then it's a bug in the client and I'd
like to know more about it.

> We use boxbackup 0.11rc2. on a Linux Centos 4.4 servers. (clients and
> server)
>
> And now the question:
>
> Is it possible to configure all stores to a hardlimit of 120 GB?   Or is
> this a problem with the capacity of the harddisk ( 125x 120Gb = 15 TB)
> None of the stores will actually get that big and we will be monitoring the
> freedisk-space.
>
> Does boxbackup reserve the diskspace needed by the hardlimit?

No, the space is not reserved. Overcommitting your disk space is possible
and allowed. However recent clients basically ignore the softlimit and
will keep backing up files until they reach the hardlimit. Therefore I'd
recommend that you closely monitor free disk space and actual usage by the
clients. If the disk does actually fill up then clients will start getting
bad errors during uploads, and your and their bandwidth usage will
increase a lot.