[Box Backup] "make test" reports error

boxbackup at boxbackup.org boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Thu Jan 22 09:38:18 GMT 2009

At 12:45 AM 1/22/2009, you wrote:

>Are you sure this isn't a custom kernel? louisa.home.local looks
>suspicious. Could you get info on the RPM that it came from to get the
>vendor and build host?

This is the one that works with the "make test".

I think that this is the standard centos SMP (i.e. multi processor) kernel that we got when we installed centos. This is the RPM info:

===========
rpm -q kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.EL -i

Name        : kernel-smp                   Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.6.9                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 22.EL                         Build Date: Sat 08 Oct 2005 08:01:51 PM PDT
Install Date: Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:52:45 PM PST      Build Host: louisa.home.local
Group       : System Environment/Kernel     Source RPM: kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm
Size        : 27302996                         License: GPLv2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 09 Oct 2005 03:45:51 AM PDT, Key ID a53d0bab443e1821
Packager    : Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
Summary     : The Linux kernel compiled for SMP machines.
Description :
This package includes a SMP version of the Linux kernel. It is
required only on machines with two or more CPUs as well as machines with
hyperthreading technology.

Install the kernel-smp package if your machine uses two or more CPUs.
===========

Does that help?

>> Linux version 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL (buildcentos at build-i386) (gcc version
>> 3.4.5 20051201 (Red Hat 3.4.5-2)) #1 Tue Jan 17 06:51:40 CST 2006
>
>This is what I expect from a stock Centos kernel.

This is the one that does not work with "make test".

>Are they exactly the same version of centos with all updates applied?

No. We are "bad" and only install the version that is current at the install time and then leave it alone.

>Would it be at all possible for you to try running the SMP kernel on the
>non-SMP system or vice versa? It should work fine, the only disadvantage
>would be that you can't use the second processor with a non-SMP kernel.

I understand what you want, but I have absolutely no idea how to achieve it in detail. We don't know how to juggle kernels. Sorry. If you can provide details, we can do it.