[Box Backup] QT4 GUI for boxbackup

Tom Albers boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Mar 17 16:54:11 GMT 2009

--nextPart1677770.tNOocs9j0K

At Tuesday 17 March 2009 13:25, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During last year I have been working for a little company in Madrid. During
> this time, I have been working in a GUI for boxbackup-0.10 with (C++, QT4).
> However, project was halted and we never released it as a service. Here is the
> result:
>
> https://launchpad.net/adelin-backup
>
> Although it has been released as a free software project (GPL+BSD), it is
> written to automatically work with the company (adelin) servers, and use the
> company advertising system.
>
> However, I have continued development in my free time without commiting changes
> the project page. Now there is a system tray agent to check boxbackup client
> status, better wizards and english translation is in progress.
>
> Last month the company went out of bussiness, and I asked my boss if I could
> mantain the project as a free software project. He said ok, GPL+BSD license,
> but he will keep project copyright.
>
> I would like to open the project to community, so everyone can use the program
> with their servers and without advertising. Therefore I'll relaunch the project
> in another place.. Any suggestions about project hosting? Do you believe
> google-code is ok?
>
> Thank you in advance

Hi,

Nice to see progress in this area. It will make BoxBackup usuable for a larger audience.

A couple of tiny nitpicks while installing/using:
- The installer by defaults wants to install in the spanish version of 'program files'.
- Title of the window you get after pressing 'go' in the boxbackup installation is spanish.
- The selection of the paths is weird. It seems to want a file name that is 'etc', which does not exists, I don't even have a folder with that name under Windows. Anyhow, test it, it's weird under windows.
- In the dialog to select the 2 keys (which keys?), I select the two keys and press next. It first tells me that it is unable to copy CSR file, after that it says that the server certificate already exists and if i want to overwrite it. I say ok and then it tells me it was unable to copy the file (certificate).
- 0.2.6 source code is missing in the download area
- 0.2.5 source tarball contains the .bzr folder.
- use of the tr() function is not always used in the windows titles for example.
- spanish comments in the code
- the line "QFile::copy(newkey1,key1name)" from KeyWizard.cpp:332 fails if the backup file already exists. You might want to delete the backup file first.
- I could not pass the keys screen. The errors are cryptic. I tried to recompile to get the key2name value, but I failed to compile, due to some QFile error. Probably a local setup problem.

All-in-all, I'm excited, but I have not seen the mainwindow yet ;-(

Best,

Tom Albers
--
KovoKs B.V.