[Box Backup] Configurable syslog facility

Reinhard Tartler boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Mar 24 17:08:35 GMT 2009

Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> writes:

> Hi Kenny,
>
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Kenny Millington wrote:
>
>> I've been using the Ubuntu package for 0.11rc2 from the Debian
>> maintainer's Ubuntu PPA and came across a snag.
>>
>> It seems that he's gone ahead and changed the package to log to
>> LOG_DAEMON rather than LOG_LOCAL6 to fit in with how all the other
>> daemons log by default on Debian based distributions.
>
> I do wish maintainers would try to push stuff upstream instead of just
> distributing their code with a random local patches and then forgetting
> about them.

the patch is really trivial. It just changes LOG_LOCAL6 to
LOG_DAEMON. nothing really acceptable for upstream consumption.

I of course do forward mergable patches to my upstreams in general.

>> Unfortunately for me as a user I'd still like it to log to local6, so
>> my only option is to recompile boxbackup thus defeating the purpose of
>> a distribution that supplies binary packages.
>>
>> Is there a possibility of getting the syslog facility moved to the
>> config file so that Debian/Ubuntu can default it to LOG_DAEMON but I
>> as a user can change it to LOG_LOCAL6?
>
> It may not help you much, but I've just added this facility to trunk. In
> the Server section of your config file, specify LogFacility =
> LOCAL6. (although since it's the default in source distributions, you
> don't actually need to in this case).

I'll take a look and will consider backporting this change to the
debian/ubuntu package.

thanks for the quick fix!

--
Gruesse/greetings,