[Box Backup] Long path names, open files, etc

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Mon Mar 30 21:07:32 BST 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Achim wrote:

>>> On Windows, open files which are exclusively locked cannot be
>>> opened, even for backup, so they are skipped with a warning. See
>>> this ticket for a workaround: http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/13
>
> VSS would be an amazing addition to Box Backup! It allows you to backup
> Outlook PST files without problems. This filetype is probably
> (unfortunately) one of the most mission critical pieces out there, given
> how much people rely on e-mail these days.
>
> Is the coding very complicated, or would it possibly break Box on platforms
> other than Windows?

Unfortunately it is very complicated, or it would have been done by now.
There are a huge number of interfaces, it behaves differently on XP and
2003 (and probably vista), and so far I've only been able to develop code
with Visual Studio, not with my Windows normal development platform of vi
+ mingw on Windows 2000. It doesn't even work on Windows 2000.

It's also non-free in the sense that we can't distribute the SDK needed
to compile Box with this function enabled, so anyone who wants to do so
would have to download that SDK from Microsoft.