[Box Backup] BoxBackup with external CA

Andreas Schrafl andy
Wed Sep 9 14:11:54 BST 2009

Hello

I'm trying to setup a BoxBackup server (and clients) with an external CA.
As CA I'm using gnoMint (http://gnomint.sourceforge.net/).
The server and client both seem to somehow accept (I don't know if they
actually check the certificates on startup) the certificates but I can't
get a connection between them.

ERROR: SSL error during Connect: error:14090086:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
WARNING: Exception thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_TLSHandshakeFailed)
at SocketStreamTLS.cpp(250)
Exception: Connection TLSHandshakeFailed (7/30)

If I interpret this correctly there I some error between the server and
client encryption.
This would be the serverCA.pem file on the server and clientCA.pem file
on the client.

I didn't find exactly what these files are (I assumed the public part of
the CA I'm signing both server and client certificates with and
obviously they aren't).

If anybody has succeeded with an external CA and has an idea what I
could have done wrong I'd be very happy to hear from them.
If anybody knows what the files serverCA.pem and clientCA.pem exactly
should be I'd be very happy for an answer to that too.

Thanks a lot,
Andy