[Box Backup] OpenSSL 1.0.0-beta3 for Box Backup/Boxi

scartomail scartomail
Fri Sep 18 17:09:02 BST 2009

Hi Chris,

> > It seems it was designed this way but not completely
> working.
>
> I don't understand why it's not working or why it woulnd't
> work. I think that any command that you can launch from
> Start/Run you should be able to launch as the NotifyScript
> by using exactly the same syntax. You'll need to quote the
> script name if the path contains spaces, just as you would
> in Start/Run. If it doesn't work, what errors do you get in
> the Windows Event Log?
>
> I don't think there's anything Boxi needs to do here.

It seems that what ever string is after the "NotifyScript =" option in bbackupd.conf file is just kicked of like a run command.

If you use a *.cmd or a *.sh file this is not a problem.
However now the prefered way to do this on a windows machine is to use a *.vbs file.
If you run a *.vbs file in a command promt it does nothing.
You need to put the command "cscript" in front of it to make it do anything.

If I use boxi to configure the bbackupd.conf file and use the option to select the NotifiSysAdmin.vbs script, it is configured to do nothing.
NotifyScript = c:\program files\box backup\NotifiSysAdmin.vbs does nothing.
NotifyScript = cscript "c:\program files\box backup\NotifiSysAdmin.vbs" will work.

The way Achim worked arround this problem is ok only it realy is a workaround.
BB kicks of the given command line AND parses an argument with it, like start, stop or backup-error.

Now the *.cmd file should not only kick of the *.vbs script but must also be setup to take an argument and parse that to the *.vbs script.
Otherwise it would just be some afterscript that say's nothing about the status of the backup that was just done.

Although Achim has a pretty solution to the current problem, I think if you leave it this way it doesn't realy make sense.

So that's what I meant that should be chanched in boxi.
Or maybe BB should put the "cscript" command in frond of the command when it detects that it is running on windows.

Rgds Edo