[Box Backup] OpenSSL 1.0.0-beta3 for Box Backup/Boxi

Chris Wilson chris
Fri Sep 18 23:18:52 BST 2009

Hi Edo,

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, scartomail wrote:

>> I think that any command that you can launch from Start/Run you should
>> be able to launch as the NotifyScript by using exactly the same syntax.
>
> It seems that what ever string is after the "NotifyScript =" option in
> bbackupd.conf file is just kicked of like a run command.

Yes, we use the system() function from Microsoft's C library:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/277bwbdz%28VS.80%29.aspx

which is probably more or less what Start/Run does.

> If you use a *.cmd or a *.sh file this is not a problem. However now the
> prefered way to do this on a windows machine is to use a *.vbs file. If
> you run a *.vbs file in a command promt it does nothing. You need to put
> the command "cscript" in front of it to make it do anything.

That seems strange to me. I'm sure that I've run VBS scripts directly from
the command prompt without using CScript. If you double-click on the
script in Explorer, does it run? Do you have the correct file associations
set up for it?

> The way Achim worked arround this problem is ok only it realy is a
> workaround. BB kicks of the given command line AND parses an argument
> with it, like start, stop or backup-error.
>
> Now the *.cmd file should not only kick of the *.vbs script but must
> also be setup to take an argument and parse that to the *.vbs script.
> Otherwise it would just be some afterscript that say's nothing about the
> status of the backup that was just done.

This is not too hard, you can put something like this in your batch file:

cscript "c:\program files\box backup\notifysysadmin.vbs" $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6
$7 $8 $9

> Although Achim has a pretty solution to the current problem, I think if
> you leave it this way it doesn't realy make sense.
>
> So that's what I meant that should be chanched in boxi. Or maybe BB
> should put the "cscript" command in frond of the command when it detects
> that it is running on windows.

That would force you to only run VBS scripts and nothing else. While I can
see that VBS has become popular on Windows, I'm not particularly fond of
it, and I'd need persuading to make it the only type of supported script.
Especially as I think it should be perfectly possible to make any kind of
script run this way, with the right Windows configuration.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |