[Box Backup] Logging

Brendon Baumgartner brendon at netcal.com
Mon Apr 12 23:01:10 BST 2010

> On 12 Apr 2010, at 18:43, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:
> > I have used the event logs so far, but the agent is so chatty, it's
> > quite disruptive to the administrator if they want to browse the
> > eventlogs. Also, if the agent did one backup and then stopped at
> night,
> > then it would probably be okay, but since it's constantly running,
> the
> > eventlogs basically end being boxbackup logs because 90% of the line
> > items are from boxbackup.
>
> To be honest this is a system administration issue and not an
> application issue.
>
> The eventlog viewer does let you filter out certain events, or filter
> on certain events. I frequently see the Wintel administrators at my
> place filter on certain codes to find account lockout events. They
have
> also set up a job to export the eventlogs from all Domain Controllers
> and dump them into a SQL Server database.

I disagree. If this was a linux system, then I would agree. There is no
way with MS to show everything except Boxbackup entries. In addition,
Windows applications don't fill up the eventlogs by default when the
system is operating normally. Finally, exporting eventlogs to some
management systems doesn't make sense for people with one or a few
servers.

-Brendon