[Box Backup] Impact of the bug #63 (hardlinks not supported)

Dmitry Astapov dastapov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 14:54:49 GMT 2010

Hello,

I'm a new boxbackup user, and I have a massive ammount of warnings desribed
in #63.

Why do I have a lot of hardlinks? Because distributed version control
systems like darcs or hg, and, to some extent, git use hardlinks when
creating local branches of repositories to share history and patches between
them. I have a lot of such development repositories - hence lots of
warnings.

Now, bug #63 says that this warning should not be ignored - data corruption
is imminent. However, specifics of the corruption are not described. My
guess is that only one copy of the hardlinked file is backed up, so when
restoring I would end up with just a single copy of the fire in one of the
places - am I right?

Does this mean that boxbackup should be avoided when hardlinks are present
or not?

--
Dmitry Astapov