[Box Backup] Trac account request

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Sat Dec 25 08:54:17 GMT 2010

On 2010/12/23 6:53 PM, Moritz 'Morty' Strübe wrote:
> I haven't looked at the bb-Code. Basic bandwith limiting isn't that
> difficult. But it's a little more troublesome to make it effective. Though
> most people probably the basic limiting is better then nothing. Generally it
> shouldn't be to difficult to add a timer to SocketStreamTLS, which delays
> sending data (You would wrap it in another class thogh).
>
> Morty

This is a feature I'm very interested in seeing in Box Backup - I recently
created a basic class that throttles read() operations from an ifstream so
I'm hoping that I can apply the code easily to the socket streams in Box
Backup and see how it performs.

The algorithm tries to distribute the reads evenly over every second so that
you don't get burst reads which hog all available bandwidth at the start of
every second, but also so that you don't waste too much time processing in
tiny increments.

Stewart