[Box Backup] Removing unused backup entries

Roy boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl
Mon Feb 8 13:41:43 GMT 2010

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry, but I did make a mistake. I thought the entries were still
there, but that were different ones that looked like them.
But I did add some comments for other users that may be helpful.

Also a question:
Will messages about redundant locations or unused entries show up at the
info level? Or do you need trace or even everything? Because that
produces a lot of data if LogAllFileAccess is also enabled (more than
500MB in 12 hours).

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Roy wrote:
>
>> I removed some entries in my bbackupd.conf file a while ago, that I
>> don't want to backup anymore. But they are still on the backup
>> server. I thought that with: http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/18
>> the entries that were removed were stored in object info file. So
>> that they were deleted after two days, even if the PC or Box Backup
>> was shutdown. Now I'm almost sure that my PC in the time between
>> removal of those entries and now, the PC has been on for more than
>> two days. So it should be removed either way. Is this a bug or did I
>> do something wrong? I use 2520 on Windows XP, with a trunk_2373 on
>> the server.
>
> It should be working. It's all down to the client, the server version
> doesn't matter. Could you check your event logs for any messages about
> "redundant locations" or "unused entries"? You could also try running
> bbackupd from the command line with the "-v" option to see what it
> says about deleting the unused entries (or not).
I enabled logging in Box Backup by the following settings:
LogFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd.log
LogFileLevel = info

In the eventlog I see the following message, if BB is (re)started:
WARNING: Store object info file out of date. Will re-cache from store.
(C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd\bbackupd.state)

>> PS. Chris; is there already a solution for files with different
>> attributes on the store in comparison to the local file?
>
> No, please remind me of the issue, or preferably create a Trac ticket
> for it.
>
> Cheers, Chris.
I will do, but I have to get an account first. I get a lot of these
messages when I do a compare. And because Box Backup doesn't update
those attributes I get them over and over again. It is not a really big
deal, but I get lot's of error when I compare, so this clutters my view.
And, off course, the attributes aren't saved correctly.

Cheers,

Roy