[Box Backup] Box Backup licensing

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Jan 21 22:18:43 GMT 2010

Hi all,

This is your *last chance* to state your objection to the new license, see
below for more details.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Ben Summers wrote:
>
>> I am happy to change the code I wrote to the standard BSD license.
>>
>> The advertising clause is no longer fair, as Chris Wilson has taken
>> over. I will leave it to Chris and the community to decide whether or
>> not there should be an advertising clause, and if there is, what it
>> should say.
>>
>> I am not, however, willing to change the license to GPL because I
>> believe the 'Box libraries' are of general utility. I know this will
>> complicate things, but as a compromise I will, at Chris and the
>> community's request, relicense the Box Backup specific code I wrote as
>> GPL if the general purpose libraries are left with the BSD license.
>>
>> I nominate Chris Wilson to adjudicate and make the final decision. :-)

The proposal was:

GPL for the backup parts of Box Backup:

bin/bbackupctl
bin/bbackupd
bin/bbackupobjdump
bin/bbackupquery
bin/bbstoreaccounts
bin/bbstored
bin/s3simulator
lib/backupclient
lib/backupstore
test/backupdiff
test/backupstore
test/backupstorefix
test/backupstorepatch
test/bbackupd
contrib/bbadmin
contrib/bbreporter
contrib/cygwin
contrib/debian
contrib/mac_osx
contrib/redhat
contrib/rpm
contrib/solaris
contrib/suse
contrib/windows
distribution/boxbackup

BSD 3-clause (no advertising clause) for everything else:

lib/common
lib/compress
lib/crypto
lib/httpserver
lib/intercept
lib/raidfile
lib/server
lib/win32
test/basicserver
test/common
test/compress
test/crypto
test/httpserver
test/raidfile
test/win32
infrastructure

The advertising clause will *no longer apply* to future releases.

The responses are in. I think we have three in favour of this proposal,
two neutral and none against.

We are therefore changing the licenses as stated above, effective from
midnight on 23 Jan 2010. I will implement this in the distribution code as
soon as possible, and the new license will apply to all future releases
and release candidates, including 0.11rc6.

If there are any objections, please make them known now, in the next 24
hours, otherwise this decision becomes final by default. This is your last
chance to object :)