[Box Backup] Box Backup licensing

Richard Hurt rnhurt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:17:29 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is your *last chance* to state your objection to the new license, see
> below for more details.
>
> ...snip...

> The advertising clause will *no longer apply* to future releases.
>
> The responses are in. I think we have three in favour of this proposal, two
> neutral and none against.
>
> We are therefore changing the licenses as stated above, effective from
> midnight on 23 Jan 2010. I will implement this in the distribution code as
> soon as possible, and the new license will apply to all future releases and
> release candidates, including 0.11rc6.
>
> If there are any objections, please make them known now, in the next 24
> hours, otherwise this decision becomes final by default. This is your last
> chance to object :)
>
> Cheers, Chris.

I don't contribute to the BB project but I do use it in my server appliance
business and I would just like to thank the developers and everyone that has
worked hard to bring this software to fruition.  My only input to the
re-licensing process would be to encourage the use of standard OSI
licenses[1] and to not develop and/or use one-offs.  As long as we stick to
the known waters I think we will be much better off.

[1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses
--
Later...                                                                  ➣
http://KangarooBox.com - We make IT simple!