[Box Backup] Box Backup licensing

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Jan 22 16:49:10 GMT 2010

Hi Reinhard,

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> However the GPL on the other hand has this term in §6:
>
> ,----
> |   6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
> | Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
> | original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
> | these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
> | restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
> | You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to
> | this License.
> `----
>
> Which can be (and AFAIUI is) be interpreted as 'no other restrictions or
> obligations than stated explicitly in the GPL'.

That's a very good point, thanks for raising it.

Ben, would you object to dual-licensing the core libraries under BSD/GPL
at the choice of the licensee? That way, we can distribute Box Backup as
pure GPL, but anyone wanting to use the core libraries could choose to use
them under the BSD license instead.

Does anyone object to this proposal?