[Box Backup] Box Backup licensing

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Fri Jan 22 22:04:20 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 17:49 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Ben, would you object to dual-licensing the core libraries under BSD/GPL
> at the choice of the licensee? That way, we can distribute Box Backup as
> pure GPL, but anyone wanting to use the core libraries could choose to use
> them under the BSD license instead.
>
> Does anyone object to this proposal?

I think that's a much better idea. I think it achieves much the same
benefits but is much clearer to understand.

Depending on your point of view with the advertising clause you could
even keep that in the BSD licence so closed source distribution of the
libraries has to acknowledge the work and open source distribution under
GPL has to release source code.

This would also clearly solve the long outstanding GNU readline licence
incompatibility problem when building the box binary.

Cheers,
Martin