[Box Backup] Box Backup licensing

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sun Jan 31 21:41:26 GMT 2010

Hi Achim and all,

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Achim wrote:

> One thing just came to my mind about the relicensing under BSD and GPL:
> Back in June we had a (small) discussion about the possibility of
> linking to Microsofts's VSS headers. I quote verbatim from my message
> then, and wanted to ask if we could add that exception to the GPL
> version under which you will release 0.11, in order to have at least the
> legal aspects covered, not to talk about the missing implementation ;-)

Thanks for reminding me about this. It's actually a significant problem
for relicensing Box Backup under the GPL, because we cannot legally link
with OpenSSL.

I have created a new license that includes similar exemptions to the ones
used by Bacula, although I have reworded them because in my view the
Bacula versions allow a significant loophole in the GPL, by allowing third
parties to create customised versions of OpenSSL including whatever code
they want (e.g. a competing backup application), and linking the GPL code
against those libraries without disclosing the source.

As this is a significant license change, I would like to point out that
although I have committed the changes, they do not apply to any release
currently made, and can be reverted easily if anyone objects. The most
significant consequence is that it is not legal to distribute code linked
against the both GNU readline library and either OpenSSL or VSS, as we had
hoped it would be.

I have therefore included another clause that allows distribution of the
code and compiled binaries under the pure GPL, however I think this will
be of limited utility as it does not legally allow linking to OpenSSL.

You may view the changes here:
[http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/changeset/2600]
Please let me know if you have any objection to this new license.