[Box Backup] Data corruption bug in trunk > 2585 and 0.11rc6

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Mon Mar 1 13:20:14 GMT 2010

Hello Chris:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:04:48 +0100 (CET), Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>
wrote:
> I've just discovered and fixed a potentially serious data corruption bug
> on the store server (bbstored) trunk revisions since 2585 (dated
> 11/11/09, ironically enough) and the tagged but unannounced 0.11rc6.
> The client is not affected.

Thanks to you and James for catching this!  With regard to SVN revisions,
RCs etc, there is one observation I wanted to share with you/the list:

I think that the fact that some people are willing to run SVN versions of
BB server can be explained by (at least) two reasons:

1) BB is very stable and reliable, and developed with so much care that
SVN is no risk at all
2) People need features that are introduced in SVN before they become
available as a official release

The combination of 1) and 2) would lead me to think that proper releases
should happen a lot more frequently than at the moment. I am not trying to
push for a "1.0" version, but right now the situation is for instance that

* The last official "stable release" 0.10 was released more than FOUR
years ago, on 23 February 2006 [0]
* As a result, for instance the upcoming Ubuntu LTS release 10.4 "Lucid
Lynx" will include the package "0.11~rc3~r2502-2" [1].

I believe it would make a lot of sense to increase the frequency of
official releases.

This should also get more adopters on board who might be comfortable
downloading a binary but do not want to compile their own latest snapshots
from SVN. I think the latter aspect is something that we should not
underestimate, additional people and eyeballs will deliver good suggestions
for functionality, stability and UI.

Best regards, and thanks again for your watchful eyes!

Achim

[0] <http://boxbackup.org/>
[1] <http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/boxbackup-server>