[Box Backup] 0.11RC7, attributes, ACLs under Windows

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed Mar 24 19:40:22 GMT 2010

Hi Achim,

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Achim wrote:

>>> [0] Apart from two small issues:
>>> During "make test" several times "Unable to send message to Event Log
>>> (Event Log is full):" shows up
>>
>> This is not really Box Backup's fault except that it generates a lot of
>> Event Log messages, and you may need to reconfigure your Event Log to
>> handle them. I think users would be unpleasantly surprised if we did
>> that for them.
>
> Does it make sense for Box Backup to generate sufficient log messages to
> saturate a standard XP event log? Perhaps there is a way to either group
> messages or turn down the default verbosity?
>
> An unexperienced user might understand of the message "Unable to send
> message to Event Log (Event Log is full)" as an error rather than a
> warning, so this would be a source of confusion with a simple remedy: less
> verbose logging by default.

This isn't default verbosity, it's only while running tests. I don't
expect inexperienced users to run the tests, I expect developers to do it
for them.

If the default verbosity level of the application in production is too
high, please suggest which messages (that you see in the event log in
normal use) you don't think are useful and let's see what we can do about
it.