[Box Backup] How to contribute to the project and two questions

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed Mar 24 19:44:27 GMT 2010

Hi Matthieu,

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Matthieu Patou wrote:

>> You could have a look at the bug tracker on our wiki as a way to get
>> into the project. If you don't like the look of any of them, there are
>> three major projects in progress:
>>
>> * Support for volume shadow copies (VSS) on Windows
> What is the status on this is there any code for this already ?

There is no code already integrated into Box, but there is an open ticket
on Trac where Achim has been collecting information:

http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/13

And we are now allowed to use code from Bacula, which does have support
for VSS already.

>> * Support for snapshot backups (in progress)
>
> What is the definition of snapshot backup for you ? is the fact that
> you'll get all the file at a given time what ever the time you take to
> make the backup ?

Yes, all those files, no other files, and their contents at as close a
time as possible to the time of the snapshot (given that the snapshot is
unlikely to be instantaneous). So that you could drag a slider back in
time, like Time Machine, and see all files and directories as they were at
that time, or as close as possible to that effect.