[Box Backup] Feature request - for lousy connections

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Tue Mar 30 15:55:25 BST 2010

Hello Chris:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:20:05 +0200 (CEST), Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>
wrote:
> Then the time taken to scan is the problem, not the downloading and
> updating of file or directory data.
>
> Scanning a few thousand files should only take a few seconds. Even a
> hundred thousand should take tens of minutes. I'm curious why it takes
> five hours.

I have been using the StoreObjectInfoFile setting in the past:

# Uncomment the StoreObjectInfoFile to enable the experimental archiving
# of the daemon's state (including client store marker and configuration)
# between backup runs. This saves time and increases efficiency when
# bbackupd is frequently stopped and started, since it removes the need
# to rescan all directories on the remote server. However, it is new and
# not yet heavily tested, so use with caution.
StoreObjectInfoFile = $bbworkdir/bbackupd.state

and was wondering how that fits in here.

In addition, I remember having seen resumable uploads somewhere in
connection with StoreObjectInfoFile for the following scenario:

1. bbackupd starts upload of 1,5GB HD video file to server (Windows is
limited to 2GB [1])
2. Backup gets interrupted somewhere during the process (user shuts down
computer, moves into different WLAN network, ...)
3. Will bbackupd restart the upload from where it left of (for instance at
1GB, leaving only 0,5 GB left to transfer), or from the beginning?

Thanks, Achim

[1] <http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/14>