[Box Backup] Feature request - for lousy connections

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Tue Mar 30 16:01:45 BST 2010

Hi Achim,

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Achim wrote:

> I have been using the StoreObjectInfoFile setting in the past:
>
> # Uncomment the StoreObjectInfoFile to enable the experimental archiving
> # of the daemon's state (including client store marker and configuration)
> # between backup runs. This saves time and increases efficiency when
> # bbackupd is frequently stopped and started, since it removes the need
> # to rescan all directories on the remote server. However, it is new and
> # not yet heavily tested, so use with caution.
> StoreObjectInfoFile = $bbworkdir/bbackupd.state
>
> and was wondering how that fits in here.

I think it only makes a difference if bbackupd is shut down and restarted,
as it saves a copy on disk of state that is normally only kept in memory.
If the connection goes down but bbackupd is not stopped, it should make no
difference.

> > In addition, I remember having seen resumable uploads somewhere
> > connection with StoreObjectInfoFile for the following scenario:
>
> 1. bbackupd starts upload of 1,5GB HD video file to server (Windows is
> limited to 2GB [1])

Have you tested this recently? Or are you assuming that the 2GB limit
still applies because of the ticket? I was never able to reproduce the
problem, so it may not exist.

> 2. Backup gets interrupted somewhere during the process (user shuts down
> computer, moves into different WLAN network, ...)
> 3. Will bbackupd restart the upload from where it left of (for instance at
> 1GB, leaving only 0,5 GB left to transfer), or from the beginning?

I'm afraid resuming individual files is not currently supported, so it
will start again from the beginning. My best advice for now would be to
get a connection fast enough to upload the individual files that you need
to back up in less than 24 hours.