[Box Backup] Feature request - for lousy connections

Florian Eyben flo at orbie.de
Tue Mar 30 16:44:24 BST 2010

Hi Chris,

Chris Wilson schrieb:
> Hi Florian,

>>> I think it only makes a difference if bbackupd is shut down and
>>> restarted, as it saves a copy on disk of state that is normally only
>>> kept in memory. If the connection goes down but bbackupd is not
>>> stopped, it should make no difference.
>>>
>> Ah, ok. Now, this would be really nice to have to save the state,
>> when the connection goes down or any other error occurs. What do you
>> think? Is this hard to implement?
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding here. If you are not shutting down
> Box Backup (and I think you are not) then this feature makes no
> difference. In any case, it is implemented, so you can try it if you
> like.
No, I am not shutting down box backup. My question was, if you think it
is possible to save the state when the connection drops (i.e. save the
last state before the transfer of the file or the action where the
connection dropped). I mean, more or less, call the function that saves
the state (currently when stopping the daemon), when an error occurs. If
this is not possible, because maybe the state is corrupt in case of an
error, it may help to be able to periodically save the state, lets say
every 10 or 15 minutes. So in case of a lost connection you only loose
the last 10 minutes, and you would ensure that eventually you back up
all of your data and not skip the last directories in case of repeated
dropped connections.

>> I would assume that resuming a 1,5GB transfer would also require a
>> lot of matching, since the server data is encrypted and you cannot
>> directly diff.
>
> Box Backup has a clever way of doing it that does work.
>
>> Either you encode, upload and compare, or you upload only hashes and
>> compare them. Either way, it always involves encrypting 1,5GB... or
>> am I wrong?
>
> Yes, you would have to encrypt 1.5 GB, and normally that's not a
> problem compared to the time taken to upload it if you didn't. Perhaps
> if you have a really slow CPU, that's not the case, but I'm not
> particularly interested in supporting such devices.

Yes, I understand. As I said, large files are also not my top priority.
If it were, I'd have a faster CPU and more disc space anyway.

Cheers,
Florian