[Box Backup] Box Backup client thinks all symlinks are mount points

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Tue Nov 16 08:39:32 GMT 2010

Hi Toke,

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> I have been using box backup for some time, and it has always worked
> great. However, recently (or at least I haven't noticed before) I have
> begun receiving strange errors in the logs:
>
> Nov 11 23:26:09 localhost bbackupd[1093]: WARNING: Ignored directory:
> /home/alrua/.vimrc: is a mount point; create a new location if you want
> to back it up
>
> I get thousands of these, for every file within the backup up
> directories which are symlinks, no matter if they point to a place
> within the backed up paths or not.
>
> Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it? If it is, how do I make it shut
> up about it? :)

No, it's not normal. Please could you send the output of "stat -L ~" and
"stat ~/.vimrc" (or at least the first three lines of each, including
the device number).

Also, do you back up your actual /home or a symlink to it, or is your
/home a symlink to somewhere else?

If all else fails, you can shut up these warnings with ExcludeDir, but the
symbolic links still won't be backed up.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |