[Box Backup] GUI options, was: Bundled TDB fails to build

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Tue Oct 5 17:20:00 BST 2010

Hello Roy:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:06:56 +0200, Roy <boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl>
wrote:
> Has Boxi had updates to it's code? Or is it still unmaintained?
> Because a good GUI is would be very nice to have.

Boxi is a good step in the right direction. There have been some small
developments [1], but IMHO Boxi is still:

a) far more unreliable than bbackupquery (crashes *frequently*,
non-ASCII characters might be one trigger!)
b) using a UI that is still too complicated (many tabs etc, see also my
mockups for Boxi NG in this group)

I have been pondering writing a GUI-layer application with Lazarus [2]
that would use bbackupquery as a tool to comunicate with the bb server,
and then visualise the resulting information in a very simple but
intuitive manner. My problem is that I have no idea about wxwidgets and
advanced C++, so I basically cannot commit any code to Boxi to
facilitate moving in that direction.

There are some other GUI options such as Adelin [3], but they all seem
abandoned.

I think it is very unfortunate that the power of BB is limited to power
users at the moment. The lack of simple & intuitive GUI programs makes
restore and changing existing configurations almost impossible for
non-experts, even with the current Boxi versions.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Achim

[1] <https://sourceforge.net/projects/boxi/>
[2] <http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/>