[Box Backup] Potential data loss: what to do?

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Thu Oct 7 14:18:55 BST 2010

Hello list:

The following (real life) situation happened, and I am unclear as to
how to proceed to recover the data:

1. Client uses BB to back up USB stick (drive F: with location name
"F_root") on laptop A. Output of "ls" on bbackupquery:
query > list
00005f40 -d---- F_root

2. Client used the same account yesterday with a different
bbackupd.conf and a different location to backup some other files on
laptop B. The backup ultimately failed for other reasons, BUT:

3. "F_root" somehow got deleted on the server despite having set
DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 0. Message in bbackupd.log: "1
redundant locations in root directory found, will delete from store
after 0 seconds."

4. Output on in bbackupquery.exe now:
query > list
query >

5. Since the location F_root was deleted, we tried to access the
information with the -d parameter:
query > list -d
00000002 -dX--- F_root
00005f40 -dX--- F_root
query >

6. Now we can change into F_root as follows:
query > cd -d F_root

7. However, the contents in *that* F_root (probably the one with ID
00000002) are very outdated. I suspect that the latest copies of the
files are located in the directory F_root with ID 00005f40, but I don't
know how to change into that directory to check. "cd" does not
recognise the "-i <object-id>" parameter that "get" supports.

8. As an alternative, I tried to "undelete" F_root with ID 00005f40:
query > undelete -i 00005f3d
ERROR:   Invalid option 'i' for command undelete

Question: How can I "cd" into or "undelete" F_root with ID 00005f40
has the data I am looking for and ultimately restore the data?

Thanks, Achim