[Box Backup] Potential data loss: what to do?

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Oct 7 14:42:07 BST 2010

Hi Achim,

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Achim wrote:

> 3. "F_root" somehow got deleted on the server despite having set
> DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 0. Message in bbackupd.log: "1 redundant
> locations in root directory found, will delete from store after 0
> seconds."

Looks like another bug that I'll investigate next.

> 5. Since the location F_root was deleted, we tried to access the information
> with the -d parameter:
> query > list -d
> 00000002 -dX--- F_root
> 00005f40 -dX--- F_root
> query >
>
> 6. Now we can change into F_root as follows:
> query > cd -d F_root
>
> 7. However, the contents in *that* F_root (probably the one with ID 00000002)
> are very outdated. I suspect that the latest copies of the files are located
> in the directory F_root with ID 00005f40, but I don't know how to change into
> that directory to check. "cd" does not recognise the "-i <object-id>"
> parameter that "get" supports.
>
> 8. As an alternative, I tried to "undelete" F_root with ID 00005f40:
> query > undelete -i 00005f3d
> ERROR:   Invalid option 'i' for command undelete
>
> Question: How can I "cd" into or "undelete" F_root with ID 00005f40 has the
> data I am looking for and ultimately restore the data?

I think undelete is the easiest approach. The support for delete and
undelete with the -i option was not fully implemented, but wasn't hard to
add, so I've just done it in the 0.11 branch. Please could you check that
out and try to undelete the directory that you want using that option?

Sorry for the difficulty!