[Box Backup] GUI options, was: Bundled TDB fails to build

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Mon Oct 11 13:53:28 BST 2010

Hello Roy:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:18:33 +0200, Roy <boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl>
wrote:
> Thanks for the explaining of it all. Unfortunately I cannot commit
> any code as well because I have no C++ skills.
> My brother would like to make a gui, but he's reluctant to use
> bbackupquery inside his code to query the server. He likes the use of
> dll's to speak to a BB server. But now he has to start bbackupquery
> and pare the output of it.
>
> Hopefully some additional work is being done on Boxi in the near
> future. Because Box Backup itself is a great piece of software.

Let me refer you to Duplicati [1] which IMO is pretty close to what I
am looking for in terms of GUI.

It uses duplicity as its backend, offers incremental encrypted remote
snapshot-based VSS-enabled backups, and is supposed to be
multi-platform.

Massive disadvantage: based on C#/.NET, and by extension Mono (to run
on Linux or OS X).

Check out the video from the 1.0 release last year [2].

I have a lot of confidence in Box Backup's robustness, especially since
it seems to do a better job at actually backing up. I confirmed this
some time ago with Backup Bouncer [3] where BB came out ahead of
duplicity.

However, convenience and accessibility also play an important part in
how comfortable end-users feel with a particular solution, and I am
still evaluating whether to prefer BB's robustness over Duplicati's
convenience.

Just a thought for discussion.

Best regards, Achim

[1] <http://code.google.com/p/duplicati/>