[Box Backup] Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Thu Oct 14 12:59:14 BST 2010

Hello list:

In addition to the information I collected on how other FLOSS projects
implement VSS [1], I wanted to point out that AlphaVSS [2] could also
be a worthwhile inspiration. Even though it is a .NET class library, it
is written in C++/CLI. From the web page:

"The goal is to provide an interface that is simple to use from a C#
or VB.NET application, yet providing the full functionality of VSS.".

"[..] There are several versions of VSS depending on what version of
Microsoft Windows you are running and for which platform it is
targeted. These versions unfortunately are not fully compatible with
each other, but require linking against different .LIB-files and
compiling against a different set of C++ .H-files.

AlphaVSS is a library released under the MIT license written to remedy
this situation and allow easy access to the full VSS API from within a
managed C# or VB.NET application targeting the Microsoft Windows
operating system."

Perhaps looking at that code somebody can figure out how to either add
it natively to BB, or create an additional component that will
implement VSS.

Best regards, Achim

[1] <http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/13>
[2] <http://alphavss.codeplex.com/>