[Box Backup] boxbackup in debian/squeeze

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Oct 26 15:04:38 BST 2010

On Di, Okt 26, 2010 at 14:57:13 (CEST), Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi Reinhard,
>
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid I have sad news for the boxbackup package in debian. I
>> recently noticed that I missed to get a maintainable package into debian
>> testing in-time, for details please see this thread:
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.release/39977
>>
>> I understand that this might mean that the best course of action for
>> squeeze is to have the boxbackup binaries removed.
>
> That is indeed very sad. However there are bugs in RC3 that definitely
> need fixing. I'd rather pull the packages than have RC3 in Squeeze.

Ok, I'll relay this then to the debian-release team.

> Is there something that can be done to fix the failure of the debian
> buildd to notify you that the package wasn't building on all platforms, so
> that this doesn't happen again?

I don't think so. I need to check more often the migration status of the
package, this can be seen e.g. here:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/boxbackup.html
(the todo box in the upper middle)

>> In order for stable users to use and install boxbackup conviniently, I'd
>> suggest to provide the packages on boxbackup.org. Would that be OK with
>> you? If yes, I would then update the packaging to the latest rc6 release
>> and provide you with binaries, at least for i386.
>
> Yes, I would be very happy to. We even have a build bot that could
> probably provide daily package builds, and reports of build failures.

that sounds pretty cool.

>> BTW, just an idea, how about having the debian packaging in the svn
>> branch, so that development snapshot debian packages could be generated
>> easily?
>
> Yes, I'd be very happy to do that. We have packaging for several other
> package managers in trunk already.
>
> Please could you describe, in your packaging, your preferred build
> instructions, as there are more ways to build a Debian package than one
> could shake a stick at?

What I'm currently doing for mplayer daily builds is:

 - have the debian package in trunk (a couple of files subdirectory
   debian/*)
 - have a script 'debian/daily-build.sh' which generates a dummy
   debian/changelog that includes the svn revision and then uses the
   packaging scripts to actually build the source package
 - upload the package to a launchpad PPA for building ubuntu binary packages

for boxbackup, I guess we can skip the last step and build on the
buildbot, if you prefer.

The current 'official' debian packaging can be seen here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~siretart/boxbackup/boxbackup.debian/files/head:/debian/

The build environment would then be a 'standard' debian machine (chroot
or VM) with some additional debian development packages installed.

Then we need to think about a way to publish the packages in some
apt-get'able archive. This could be also done in the build bot and
rsync'ed to some public http server.

how does this sound?

--
Gruesse/greetings,