[Box Backup] Long delay between sending files

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Mon Sep 13 16:49:01 BST 2010

Hi Dave,

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Dave Bamford wrote:

> logfile from strace attached
>
> it was started during a 4 minute interval and terminated during the next
> one, hope thats what you need.

Yes, it's exactly what I needed, thanks.

It seems that we use a terribly inefficient way to write out directories,
with no buffering at all. It also seems that you have a large directory on
a remote network store mounted synchronously, which forces a round trip
to write each directory entry (no local buffering in the OS).

First of all, you could try enabling the "async" option on your NFS mount
to see if that helps.

I'll work on a fix, but it's not trivial to get right, so it might take me
a while.