[Box Backup] Concerns about housekeeping / deletion of old files

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sat Dec 3 15:55:02 GMT 2011

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Matt Marjanovic wrote:

> On 12/02/2011 02:49 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>>> As I was installing Boxbackup, I came across issue #62, "Backups of
>>> deleted files may be removed very quickly by housekeeping".  Is there
>>> a workaround or perhaps any progress on making snapshots?
>>
>> Unfortunately not yet. It's a major undertaking and one which I've been
>> thinking about for the longest time, but simply not had the time to
>> invest to implement such a major reworking.
>
> For those of us (e.g. me) whose interest is now piqued, could you
> give a quick explanation of the current housekeeping algorithm and
> its problems?  (Or point me to a write-up, if it's already written
> in something other than C++ --- I know where to find that. :)

Ben's statement, the most definitive source of information I have, as he
wrote the code:

http://lists.boxbackup.org/pipermail/boxbackup/2009-August/005463.html

The rest of that discussion is most informative, starting around here:

http://lists.boxbackup.org/pipermail/boxbackup/2009-August/005434.html

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |