[Box Backup] Regex exclusions

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sat Dec 3 23:12:24 GMT 2011

Hi Achim,

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Achim J. Latz wrote:

> On 29/09/2011 18:50, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
>
>> A few planning or philosophical topics we should consider: 1.  Windows
>> Exclusions are not case-sensitive, so we no longer have to add both
>> upper and lower case versions of each Exclusion--yeah!
>
> I would assume after reading Chris' comments that this is true for all
> exclusions, not Windows only.

No, it's only true on Windows. It was also a bit broken until now, because
it would also convert all characters in the regular expression to lower
case, including \S to \s for example. I've just fixed that.

The case-insensitive comparison flag is now used when compiling the
regexes, on Windows only.

>> (I wish we could push some common Exclusion strings into variables of
>> some sort that different BackupLocations could "import".  Exclusions
>> are fraught with typographic errors.)
>
> Chris, would this perhaps be possible by adding additional "keys" in
> bbackupd.conf like this (not very elegant, I know):
>
> ExcludeTemplate_1, ExcludeTemplate_2, [..], ExcludeTemplate_n
> IncludeTemplate_1, IncludeTemplate_2, [..], IncludeTemplate_n
>
> that can be used within the regular ExcludeFilesRegex etc. like this:
>
> ExcludeFilesRegex = IncludeTemplate_2|IncludeTemplate_42|[...]

It's possible, but quite a bit of work. How about global Include and
Exclude options instead?

> Some other ideas can be found here
> <https://crashplan.zendesk.com/entries/302133-improve-ui-for-backup-exclusions>,
> particularly the part of defining an exclusion from a given file pattern
> would be great for Boxi (although not a priority, as >90% of the users
> will never touch exclusions).

What do you mean by a file pattern? Is that a regex applied to the file
name?

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |