[Box Backup] Notes on trunk_3047 upgrade today

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 19:58:00 GMT 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:44:09AM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, Pete Jalajas wrote:
>
> > I couldn't make it compile because of the doc Errors, so, being fairly
> > ignorant of these things, I tweaked the Makefile to take out the
> > doc-related dependencies from this line:
>
> I tried to make a Makefile target that doesn't build the docs, but it's
> quite complicated because the install script also references them, and I'd
> prefer not to have two ways to build backup-server-linux-gnu.tgz, one with
> docs and one without, because it could lead to more confusion in future.
> Perhaps if you tell me the errors that you experienced, I can help you to
> fix them? It's usually just a case of installing xsltproc.

Ideally I think we should leave the SVN version so that docs are always
built. My intention was (still is, really) to have the build automation
upload a distribution tarball to the web server so that people can
compile from that. This (hopefully) will already have the xsltproc stuff
done and the docs built so the end user only needs to compile the
software.

Otherwise I think we should just clarify somewhere that xsltproc and the
docbook stylesheets are required to build, along with openssl headers,
zlib headers, etc.

Speaking of the build automation, Chris you've probably noticed that
it's not working at the moment. It turns out bitten is quite sensitive
to network issues and the slaves kept dying or hanging at the slightest
blip and it was starting to get very tedious manually fixing them.

Bitten is nice, but I think it's a little inflexible for what I'm trying
to do with it so I'm hoping to redo things using buildbot. A quick test
seemed like it will be good. Haven't had time to get a full environment
up and running yet but with luck things will be quiet enough between
Christmas and New Year that I'll be able to give it a go.

James