[Box Backup] Boxi NG (screenshots included)

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Sun Feb 13 22:48:48 GMT 2011

Hello list:

In addition to the localisation I mentioned in my message from 18
January [0], I have been trying to improve Boxi's UI.

Please refer to [1] to see the screenshots of my development version,
based on the latest SVN checkout.

A couple of things are still missing/not working, and I would be
grateful for any pointers:

1/ The "Stop Compare" and "Stop Backup" and "Stop Restore" buttons on
[XYZ]ProgressPanel.cc do not work correctly. They are only functional
during the local "counting files" activity. Once Boxi hands over to
Boxbackup with queries.CompareLocation(*pLocName, BBParams); the button
can be clicked, but the current action continues. Is it even possible
to interrupt the process?

2/ As you can see from the screenshots [1], I decided to move the
panels for "Backup files", "Locations" and "Exclusions" from a separate
tab to the overall "Configuration" tab. Double-clicking on a directory
in the tree now does not fire BackupLocationsPanel::OnTreeNodeActivate
anymore. When I tried to update the event table to register the
function like so:

BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(ClientInfoPanel, wxPanel)
	EVT_BUTTON(wxID_CANCEL, ClientInfoPanel::OnClickCloseButton)
	EVT_TREE_ITEM_ACTIVATED(ID_Backup_Locations_Tree,
		BackupLocationsPanel::OnTreeNodeActivate)
END_EVENT_TABLE()

the function now gets called, but the following line crashes the
application, although item is not NULL and item.IsOk() returns true:
BackupTreeNode* pTreeNode = (BackupTreeNode
*)(mpTree->GetItemData(item));

3/ Another small glitch caused by the new location of the "backup
files" panels: having long exclusion lines with make the panel too wide
and hide some content on the far right, that the user cannot access or
see. I suppose that I missed something with a sizer...

4/ View old and deleted files menu entries are without any
functionality.

5/ As outlined in my message from 21 January, "Boxi always shows first
entry with same names, even if that entry is deleted". It appears that
restoring in Boxi is pretty limited at the moment.

6/ At the moment, the icons are in standalone PNG files in the same
directory as the application. Ideally, they would be included as
resources as explained here [2]

7/ Finally, what would be the best way to share this updated source
code?

Any feedback welcome, Achim

[0] <http://cuba-project.org/boxi_translations>
[1] <http://cuba-project.org/Boxi_NG>
[2] <http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Embedding_PNG_Images>

--
Achim J. Latz, Qustodium Internet Security
achim.latz at qustodium.net · http://www.qustodium.net