[Box Backup] Workaround for struct packing problem on ARM processors (was: Another wish for 2011)

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed Feb 23 23:08:48 GMT 2011

Hi Leif,

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Leif Linderstam wrote:

> Now I have made a suggested workaround for the struct packing problem.
> As far as I know the problem only manifests itself in the source file
> BackupStoreDirectory.cpp. The packing directive is ignored by the
> compiler and the struct en_StreamFormat is therefore automatically
> padded to 36 bytes, while on other platforms its size is only 34.

Thank you for your diligence and patience in testing this and developing a
workaround.

I would be very interested to know why the packing directive is ignored on
your platform, as this may have other consequences that are not currently
obvious to us, and may cause other code to fail in subtle ways.

Did you find any documentation as to why the packing directive is ignored
by GCC on ARM?