[Box Backup] Pre-compiled clients

Mitja Muženič mitja at muzenic.net
Mon Jan 3 20:10:16 GMT 2011

[mailto:boxbackup-bounces at boxbackup.org]
> On Behalf Of James O'Gorman
> Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 7:53 PM
> To: Box Backup
> Subject: Re: [Box Backup] Pre-compiled clients
>
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 06:21:38PM +0100, Wouter van Eekelen wrote:
> > Is there some overview page of pre-compiled clients?
> > I've already found the latest Windows client, the Debian client is in
> > their repositories - what about CentOs (preferably a rpm), Mac OS X and
> > OpenBSD?
>
> I think it won't be in any distribution provided by Red Hat. The list
> archives will explain but I'm pretty sure Fedora rejected it for some
> weird reason. We do have an RPM spec file in the repository for anyone
> who wants to build RPMs though.
>
> Not sure about OS X, but there's nothing for OpenBSD yet. It's been on
> my todo list for a seriously long time (pkgsrc too), but I don't use
> OpenBSD as much as I used to so haven't got around to it.

There was an OpenBSD port done by a few individuals a year ago, but it never
got commited into the OpenBSD ports tree or even went public because at the
time boxbackup used to build only on one OpenBSD-supported arhitecture, i386
(32-bit Intel). In principle i386-only ports are acceptable only if the
software is inherently i386-only (stuff like bios flasher tools or binaries
that require linux emulation) and not if the software could be patched to
make it to work. I couldn't fix the build on other arhitectures (among other
the 64-bit intel and sparc) and couldn't motivate anybody else to do it.

Since then the situation worsened and the recent boxbackup versions do not
build on OpenBSD i386 anymore, unfortunately at the moment I can't remember
if it was due to changes in boxbackup or to changes in OpenBSD. As far as I
remember the binaries build, but the full parcel build fails due to manpage
issues. If anybody can fix that, it would be much appreciated.

Regards, Mitja