[Box Backup] Server Running on Solaris?

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 15:32:34 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:06:09PM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2011, at 12:00, Brendon Baumgartner <brendon at netcal.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Does anyone run a server on Solaris? I've had some mixed results
> > compiling for Solaris and want to make sure this is possible before
> > committing to converting my server to Solaris and spending time
> > doing the conversion.
> >
> > Any Solaris servers out there? Running with any problems?
>

> I've been running Box Backup servers and clients on Solaris 10 for a
> few years.
>
> If you find it doesn't like the Solaris OpenSSL, get another one
> installed, and use a command line like

I haven't tried on a very recent Solaris 10, but I suspect for stability
reasons the sitation is the same; the OpenSSL that ships with Solaris 10
is a little broken, so it's definitely best to install another version.
Personally I use Sunfreeware, but Blastwave/OpenCSW probably works too.
You'll then need to follow as per Ben's instructions below. (This is
also documented on the wiki.)

> ./configure --with-ssl-headers=/opt/csw/include/openssl
> --with-ssl-lib=/opt/csw/lib LDFLAGS="-R /opt/csw/lib"
> --prefix=/opt/boxbackup
>
> There should be an SMF manifest in SVN somewhere.

There is (written by you :-).

I keep meaning to try it on OpenIndiana but haven't had time.

James