[Box Backup] Development feedback & discussion for Box Backup 1.0?

Thomas Capricelli orzel at freehackers.org
Tue Jan 18 08:53:17 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 18 January 2011 00:30:28 Chris Wilson wrote:
> wxWidgets is cross-platform with native widgets on each platform. gtk is
> cross-platform but always looks like GTK (non-native in most cases). I
> don't like the non-native feel of GTK applications like Ethereal on
> Windows. What's wrong with wxWidgets?
>
> I might have chosen QT if it had (at the time) been fully open source for
> all platforms (as it is now) when I started writing Boxi in 2006. Now I'm
> afraid it's a bit late to change, and I don't (yet) see a good reason to
> throw away all the work I've done on Boxi and start again.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the wording, i did not mean to be rude or whatever. There are actually two points.

First, i thought that boxi was dead. When searching for a GUI for boxbackup, i've found some mentionning of it, but only few and old ones. This and other facts (it's not packaged for gentoo while boxbackup is, for example) lead me to flag "boxi" as a dead project in my research. Now you mention it is somehow alive, i'll give it another try. I was not suggesting to switch to Qt from wx, rather that if some new project would be started, i highly recommend Qt. Switching is not a lighweight decision, and i would not throw this kind of idea in the wild without a serious argumenting.

The second point is about wx versus Qt...  and i'd like not to enter any flamewar or whatever. The applications i have here(linux) based on wx look ugly, very 80's, and most of the time just does not work (the last one was the 'launcher' of flightgear, i've been told the probleme was with NLS, but i did not really investigate further). Qt is also using the 'native' widgets, as wxwidgets does. The main differece being that wxwidget consider gtk 'native' on unix, while Qt has its own style on unix.

But even independantly of the look, I just happen to think that Qt is a much much better platform to develop with. I'm confident it will stay very long and maintained, a lot more people would be able to help, and i'm sure the code would be cleaner, though i have to admit i've never much developed with wx, so i wont blame you if you don't buy this point. I, for example, would help on a Qt client, but i could not on wx.

best regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas Capricelli <orzel at freehackers.org>