[Box Backup] Problem fixing corrupted store

David Bamford dave at bdisystems.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 17:06:46 GMT 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 21:56 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, David Bamford wrote:
> >
> >>  I have one account on the server which seems to be corrupt and
> >>  bbstoreaccounts check fix aborts after a couple of hours with a
> >>  segmentation fault. Is there any way I can make it fix the account?
> >>
> >>  Here are the last few lines output from bbstoreaccounts see attached
> >>  screenshot. I couldn't cut and paste the text as I had to run it in
> >>  virt-viewer because the seg fault kills the ssh connection.
> >
> > It's very odd that it kills the SSH session. This makes me think that the
> > (virtual?) server started killing processes for some reason, such as running
> > out of memory (which could well be bbstoreaccounts' fault).
>
> Actually I think it is bbstoreaccounts' fault. I can see that it tried to
> do something with a ridiculously high entry ID, which might have caused ti
> to try to allocate terabytes of memory in recent (trunk) versions of
> bbstoreaccounts due to the reference counting model (which I'm going to
> change).
>
> My first question is how it got the idea that this ridiculously high
> object ID existed in the first place. I'm guessing you're using a 64-bit
> guest? There could be a loitering bug here, I'll investigate.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Thanks Chris
I have since renamed the old store for this account and created a new
one as I suspect store corruption, but you are right I think its a
bstoreaccounts bug where it has picked up this high number.
Yes everything is 64 bit (client and server and virtual machine) all
running Debian Squeeze.
I think the corruption may have been introduced as we had to switch NFS
stores recently as one kept failing. We rsync the 2 stores daily on the
local net, takes about 6 hours for 3Tb.

If you want me to test it I still have the old data.

Regards

Dave

--
Dave Bamford