[Box Backup] Standalone Restoration

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Tue Jul 26 14:39:53 BST 2011

Hi Albert,

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, alkim1234 at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm contemplating on whether to use Box as my backup system. The only
> thing I'm worried about is that Box uses its own custom format, and
> requires the server/client model to access it. Is there a standalone
> tool that can access the storage directly without server (in case the
> server crashes)? Theoretically, it should be possible if I have the
> client keys, right?

Yes, but "theoretically" is a way away from "in practice". If you only
want the latest version of the file, then at least you don't need to
reassemble it from reverse diffs. But you still need to get the IV from
the file header, remove the header and trailer and decrypt the remaining
blocks using AES with your private key. At least I think that's what you'd
have to do. I've never tried it.

I'm working on providing a way for bbackupd to access a local copy of the
files directly, without needing to run bbstored, but it's not finished
yet.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |