[Box Backup] Workaround for struct packing problem on ARM processors (was: Another wish for 2011)

Leif Linderstam ell2 at live.se
Tue Mar 1 20:05:13 GMT 2011

Hi Chris,

> go. If you choose this you might think about adding the write and read
> functions to IOStream instead. I was thinking about doing that, but the
> only way of doing it was to immediately call the virtual Write just as
> Archive.h does it, and that was contrary to the design goal I had of
> mimicking the properties of the packed struct implementation as far as
> possible.

(Oh, I really have a bad habit of writing long, complicated sentences.
And probably bad English as well.)

Thinking a little bit more about this it can be done efficiently in
IOStream as well. It needs a bit of work in IOStream as well as in all
its subclasses. If you want it that way I can make a proposed change for
it, but with the usual disclaimer; it will take a while.

Cheers,
Leif