[Box Backup] The backup daemon on server reported an unknown error (backup-ok).

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Mar 17 21:32:42 GMT 2011

Hi Steve,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Steve Haeck wrote:

>>> The backup daemon on server reported an unknown error (backup-ok).
>>
>> Thanks for the bug report, I'll fix it as soon as e2fsck finishes
>> checking my backup volume so that I can resume Box Backup development
>> on my new desktop PC.
>
> Many thanks - I'd assumed I'd done something wrong... :)

I've fixed the bbackupd-config script, but unless you want to run it
again, using the new version in trunk, you'll need to edit the
notify script that it generated (the one pointed to by NotifyScript in
your config), find the following line:

   elif [ "\$1" = backup-start -o "\$1" = backup-finish ]; then

and change it to:

   elif [ "\$1" = backup-start -o "\$1" = backup-finish \
     -o "\$1" = backup-ok ]; then

> As an aside, congratulations on a product, that - on the whole - is
> exactly what I've been looking for for many years.  Obviously, polish
> and performance improvements will be welcome... but, even as is,
> boxbackup represents a major step forwards for me.

Thanks, but I can't take much credit, I inherited most of this code from
the inimitable Ben Summers and other contributors, and I just keep the
code alive as best I can in my spare time :)

> I wonder - is there a reason other than the pressure of time that leads
> to only supporting clients under Windows?  Would it be hard to port
> bbstored to windows?

There is an unsupported Windows port of bbstored, which is built as part
of running the unit tests. It does have serious limitations; because
bbstored relies on the fork() model on Unix, which is not possible on
Windows, the server is limited to one concurrent connection, and of course
is not well tested. But you're welcome to try it. Why exactly do you want
to run bbstored on Windows?

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |