[Box Backup] The backup daemon on server reported an unknown error (backup-ok).

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Mar 18 12:55:25 GMT 2011

Hi Steve,

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Steve wrote:

> I've opted to hack my notification script - without the escaped '$'
> characters, of course... I'm happy to wait for the next release to be
> able to cleanly configure again.  I'd hesitated to do this hack
> previously as I'd wondered how 'backup-ok' differed from 'backup-finish'
> and whether it really did document something I should care about.

backup-finish doesn't indicate the status, but could be useful for cleanup
tasks or sending reports regardless of the status.

> An architecture dependent on fork (while I only anticipate a single
> client)

If you only anticipate a single (simultaneous) client then there should be
no problems. Even two clients might be OK, as one will just wait (maybe
failing to connect to the server and retrying) until the other has
finished and pauses.

> suggests that work would be needed... and I've just realised
> that I'd end-up storing the files on NTFS rather than ext* - though I'm
> not sure what implications that has for me.

You can use the ext2 IFS on Windows if NTFS bother you, but more
importantly, Windows forbids renaming over existing files, which means
that the atomic file replacement guarantee of which Ben was very proud,
and which probably underlies various assumptions about data security
elsewhere in Box Backup, simply isn't possible.

You could also run Box Backup in a virtual machine or coLinux on your
Windows box?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |