[Box Backup] Error on boxbackup

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Mon May 2 17:08:58 BST 2011

On 2 May 2011, at 17:01, andrew.habashi at bell.ca wrote:

> Which version of Box Backup
> -no sure, where can I find this

Pass the -h flag to any of the commands, e.g. bbstored -h. The first line will have the version:

# bbstored -h
Box Backup Store Server v0.11_trunk_2368, (c) Ben Summers and contributors 2003-2008

> - Which operating system
> - Redhat Enterprise Linux 4ES
>

> - Did you use a package or compile it yourself
> -it was a guy before me that built it, I  believe he compiled it
>

> - What happens if you try to run bbstored manually (assuming you're currently using an init script)
> Are you talking about this command /usr/local/sbin/bbstored

Yes, however given your output below are you talking about a backup server or a backup client? How have you been attempting to start the service?

> - Any relevant log output from syslog
> - May  2 00:00:02 dubai bbackupctl[6643]: ERROR: Failed to connect to socket (type 2, name /var/bbackupd/bbackupd.sock, port 0): Connection refused (111)
> May  2 00:00:02 dubai bbackupctl[6643]: WARNING: Exception thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_SocketConnectError) at SocketStream.cpp(246)
> May  2 00:00:02 dubai bbackupctl[6643]: ERROR: Failed to connect to daemon control socket. Possible causes:   * Daemon not running   * Daemon busy syncing with store server   * Another bbackupctl process is communicating with the daemon   * Daemon is waiting to recover from an error

Please check if any other processes are running on the system. Run the following commands as root:

ps auxww | grep bbstore | grep -v grep
ps auxww | grep bbackup | grep -v grep

If there is any output then another process is already running. You can probably kill it.

> - When did it stop working? Has anything changed on the system?
> - switched boxbackup to another floor, I also changed to proper IP address as that changed

Ah. This could be the key. Have you:

 - Updated /etc/hosts and/or DNS with the new IP address
 - Updated ListenAddresses in bbstored.conf and/or bbackupd.conf

> - Anything you've currently tried to investigate/resolve this
> I have scanned all backup files and daemon server files and nothing seems to be broken
> The backup server can't be started.

James