[Box Backup] Error on boxbackup

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed May 4 23:28:34 BST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 3 May 2011, andrew.habashi at bell.ca wrote:

> Any news on this?

I'll try to help if I can. It would help a lot if you could tell me the
following.

Is the problem with bbackupd or bbstored? Are they both on the same
machine? Are they supposed to be running on the same machine? If so, why?
Box Backup is a network backup program, most of the benefits are
irrelevant if you're running both parts on the same machine.

You have /usr/local/sbin/bbstored, do you also have
/usr/local/bin/bbackupd? What versions do they report if you run them with
the -V option?

Do these binaries match the ones in
/usr/src/boxbackup-0.10/release/bin/bbackupd/bbackupd and
/usr/src/boxbackup-0.10/release/bin/bbstored/bbstored, or the ones in
/usr/src/boxbackup-0.11rc8/release/bin/bbackupd/bbackupd
/usr/src/boxbackup-0.11rc8/release/bin/bbstored/bbstored, or neither?

Do you have a script in /etc/init.d that starts either bbackupd or
bbstored or both? If so, please could you attach it to your email?

Is the server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or CentOS, or something
else? Which version?

>> I do /usr/local/sbin/bbstored -D -V and it just goes back to another
>> command line, I don't get the error /usr/local/sbin/bbstored: No such
>> file or directory

Is bbstored running before you do this? Is it running afterwards?

And just to confirm, if you run "bbackupd -D -V" you get absolutely no
output either?