[Box Backup] Continuous backup only when idle

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu May 5 21:53:01 BST 2011

Hi all,

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:

> Yes, I have had the same problem.  It appears to me that Box Backup
> fills my meager outbound DSL bandwidth, which apparently interferes
> with my inbound bandwidth, making our systems run slow.

Yang Zhang, is it your Internet connection that is slowing down, or the
host running bbackupd?

> I've tried trickle and wondershaper; wondershaper worked a little
> better.  Within the past week, I've tried setting AutomaticBackup = no
> and then set up a late night cronjob with
>
> 43 2 * * * nice /usr/local/sbin/bbackupctl sync-and-wait
>
> Seems to be working well enough so far.

Some other options might be:

1. Setting the new MaxUploadRate setting to some value (in bytes per
second) around half your upload bandwidth, or lower if you want to
reduce CPU usage on the client;

2. Reducing MaximumDiffingTime to reduce the amount of time that bbackupd
spends performing heavy disk I/O;

3. Using a SyncAllowScript to prevent backups from starting during your
peak hours.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |