[Box Backup] Continuous backup only when idle

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed May 18 21:18:46 BST 2011

Hi Yang,

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Yang Zhang wrote:

> I think that requires su to run, otherwise I get:
>
> ** Message: Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Failed to connect
> to socket /tmp/dbus-3xuFKEU3cy: Connection refused

Yes, if you run bbackupd as a different user than you log in to X with,
then you would need to su to the logged-in user before running
gnome-screensaver-command.

> Instead I'm checking the tty's for idle times, which encompasses ssh
> sessions but doesn't cover X-only activity:
>
> w | perl -ane '
>  BEGIN { $x = 1 };
>  next if $. <= 2;
>  END { print $x ? "now\n" : "3600\n"; }
> '

Thanks for the script! Does it solve the problem, i.e. allow backups when
the system is idle for you?

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |